Friday, March 16, 2012

5 Ingredient Banana Cookies

Good food does not have to have dozens of ingredients and you should be able to recognize most of them. Since having my daughter three years ago, I have tried to make a couple commitments to my family. One is "If I can make it, I will or we don't eat it." By doing this, I control the portions and the quality of the components in each recipe. I am not going to lie, this IS NOT EASY. I work and have several commitments but my husband and I owe it to our daughter, who is at the mercy of what we feed her. 

The other is "Keep it simple and in it's most basic state when ever possible." This goes back to my first statement as well as adding the component of ensuring that food retain as much nutrients as possible. We are always teaching our kids that they are perfect just the way they are, why would produce be any different?, because eating food is not just about fulfilling cravings but also about giving our body what it needs to stay healthy, which will in turn make you happy. Food contains macro- and micronutrients and the more you process food the more they are damaged and cannot carry out their functions. There are somethings that we cannot avoid cooking, such as many meats, fish and certain vegetables. But on the same token, not all foods need you to cook them. 

Before I digress too far, I'll share with you a cookie recipe that my daughter cannot get enough of. It relies on the natural sweetness of its components without adding anything else. They are the texture of a moist granola bar and taste like banana bread.

  • 3 overripe bananas
  • 1/2c of oil (I prefer 1/4c sunflower and 1/2c walnut)
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 3c Old Fashion oats
  • 1/2c dried fruit or shredded carrots
Mix ingredients in order and let sit for 15 minutes. Scoop by the tablespoonful onto a baking sheet and make in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, remove, cool and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment