Monday, November 12, 2012

Addition by Substitution: Learning how to bake for food allergies

After hearing that you or a loved on has food allergies, it can feel like a death sentence to some of your favorite foods and recipes. However, that does snot have to be the case. Today, there are many options available in order to substitute for these culprit ingredients. In our house, the biggest contributors to stomach upset are dairy and gluten, but I've learned a few quick substitutions to help me get around them.

In preparation for the holidays, I have been trying to figure out what I want to make for the 13 members of my family that I am expecting this Thanksgiving. On top of pouring through some time tested recipes, I am also hoping to bring a few more to the table, but I want make them friendly to everyone.

In December, 2012 edition of Food & Wine Magazine, they had an awesome looking caramelized pear custard that I wanted to try but needed to tweek first. Anyone who does substitutions knows that there is no universal replacement and it is all about application. In this case, I replaced the dairy by either omitting it completely or replacing it with Maypo's canned coconut milk (I get mine at my local Asian market). I chose canned because I needed it to replace evaporated milk and needed it to be thicker than every day milk. You can use carton alternatives but you will need 3x's the volume of liquid than required and patience to SLOWLY reduce it down. I also adapted sugar sources but be warned, changing too much of the recipe can cause it to be a major flop. That is why I recommend testing it in advance, rather than the day of you big event.


Caramelized Pear Custard Pie
9" Crust
Pears:
4 bosc pears, peeled and halved with stem and seeds removed (you want then ripe but firm)
3 TB water
1/2c honey
1/2tsp cinnamon
1 TB vanilla
Filling:
3 TB Turbinado sugar
2 TB instant tapioca pearls (such as Minute brand)
1 TB vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
3/4c + 3 TB canned coconut milk
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake weighted crust for 10 minutes then reduce oven temp to 350.
  2. Place remaining pear ingredients in skillet, except for pears, over medium heat. Add pears round side down once mixture starts to bubble. Continue to cook, continuously swirling and basting pears until bottom gets caramelized and starts to soften (10-12 minutes).
  3. Flip pears to flat side and continue to baste until bottom has done the same (5-7 minutes).
  4. Transfer pears (flat side down and stem-end in to make a flower pattern) to pre-baked crust and reserve sauce to the side.
  5. Mix together all filling ingedients, reserving the 3TB of coconut milk for caramel) and pour over pears.
  6. Bake for 35-40 minutes until almost set. Pie will firm upon standing. Let cool completely.
  7. For caramel, place reserved sauce over medium heat. As it softens, add coconut milk and continue to heat until almost to a boil. Remove from heat and use to drizzle over cooled pie slices. 
Completed pie. If I had been paying more attention,
I would have made sure that my pears were more evenly spaced.

Though this pie will not be exactly as the standard recipe would have tasted, it is still very good and it will not disappoint. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment