Monday, September 10, 2012

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Ginger-Cream Cheese Filling

Not only do I love fall because I can wear comfortable clothes without sweating to death, but I can make all things pumpkin and seem normal. By the time December comes around, I go into pumpkin overload! However, these whoopie pies are the perfect introduction to the season: the cakes are moist, firm and the filling perfectly sweet with a hint of spice from the ginger. I was happy with the consistency of the filling in terms of fluff but I found it a bit grainy and I didn't want to add milk in fear that it would turn into a glaze. I also found it helpful to put filling in the frdge until I need it so that it did not melt.

Cakes:
3c All purpose flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1TB ground cinnamon powder
1TB ground nutmeg powder
2c packed brown sugar
32 oz of organic, canned pumpkin pie filling (I use a can and a half)- this comes pre-spiced so adjust dry ingredients to your taste
1c coconut oil
2 large eggs
1TB Vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place dry ingredients, including brown sugar, in the mixer and sift until completely mixed.
  3. Add canned pumpkin, oil, eggs and vanilla.
  4. Continue to beat on medium until mixed well, scraping bowl often.
  5. Use a small ice cream scoop or large table spoons to drop dough onto cookie sheets and bake 15 minutes then let cool on the pan.
Filling:
1 stick of butter, cubed and chilled
Pinch of salt
1/2 c cream cheese, chilled
2c powdered sugar
1tsp fresh ground ginger
  1. Beat butter and salt on medium heat until creamed.
  2. Add cream cheese and beat on medium-high until fluffy.
  3. Add sugar and continue to beat on high until well combined then add ginger. I get mine in a jar that is pre-ground but you can use fresh as well.
  4. Continue to beat the heck out of it on high until it is very fluffy. If it is warm out, you may need to put it in the fridge to chill and resume beating. 
Assemble pies by taking a spoonful and sandwiching between two cakes. Best right away but left overs, if there are any, are good for a week in the fridge (let come to room temp before eating).

No comments:

Post a Comment